Re: visa repair

From: Gary Ward (gary@munich.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Feb 19 1996 - 12:02:38 PST

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: gary@munich.fmi.fujitsu.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: visa repair
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 12:02:38 -0800
From: Gary Ward <gary@munich.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>

Dave Hoagland wrote:
 [snip]
> A good renters or homeowners personal property policy is invaluable for
> covering your gear against loss or theft. They are relatively cheap and
> with replacement cost coverage you can leave thousands of dollars worth
> of gear in your vehicle with peace of mind. This has paid off for me
> several times I have been ripped off. I had a used screamer (purchased from
> Vela $700) stolen and had the insurance company call Cityfront to get the
> price of a replacement board, result - $1195 + tax and I got a brand new
> screamer. Had a similar experience at Squaw Valley last year when somebody
> ripped off a bunch of gear out of my car, resulting in all new gear and cash
> left over. The cost of these policies should be around $225 a year for 40 or
> $50,000 worth of coverage, with a $200 deductible. They also cover all your
> household property for fire, earthquake etc. This policy would also cover
> sailboard gear if I lost it on the water, but I have never claimed anything
> for breakage, so I don't know about that. Also provides liability in case
> you should accidently injure someone or damage their property.
 [snip]

Read the find print of your policy. How windsurfing equipment is viewed
varies considerably from one insurance company to the next. Some classify
windsurfers as boats and require a boat policy per board, which is prohibitably
expensive (the insurance costs more than the replacement cost) while others
consider it recreational equipment and cover it with other household stuff.

I agree that insurance is a good idea, but make sure you know what you are
getting. Ask specifically about windsurfing equipment.

-- Gary Ward