Re: visa repair

From: Jim Paugh (jpaugh@caribe-85.Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Feb 19 1996 - 14:40:37 PST

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 14:40:37 -0800
From: jpaugh@caribe-85.Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: visa repair

> From hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis Mon Feb 19 11:43:03 1996
> Bob Galvan wrote:
> >
> > > Was this some special type of visa or does all visa (no matter what bank of
> >
> > This was a visa gold card. Every one I've ever gotten has offered some
> >

> Unfortunately most cards are discontinuing these double warranties. I just
> got notified that my extended warranty coverage ends this month, and I have
> the highest rated gold card - USAA.
>
> Be sure to read the fine print on all cards.

Same with NationsBank Gold card.

> A good renters or homeowners personal property policy is invaluable
> for covering your gear against loss or theft. They are relatively
> cheap and with replacement cost coverage you can leave thousands of
> dollars worth of gear in your vehicle with peace of mind. This has paid
> off for me several times I have been ripped off. I had a used
> screamer (purchased from Vela $700) stolen and had the insurance
> company call Cityfront to get the price of a replacement board, result
> - $1195 + tax and I got a brand new screamer. Had a similar
> experience at Squaw Valley last year when somebody ripped off a bunch
> of gear out of my car, resulting in all new gear and cash left over.
> The cost of these policies should be around $225 a year for 40 or
> $50,000 worth of coverage, with a $200 deductible. They also cover
> all your household property for fire, earthquake etc. This policy
> would also cover sailboard gear if I lost it on the water, but I have
> never claimed anything for breakage, so I don't know about that. Also
> provides liability in case you should accidently injure someone or
> damage their property.

A couple of things to be aware of. I shopped around when I got my
renters insurance, and found that all of them only give 10% of the
coverage outside of my house. So when on the road with all of my
equipment, my $50,000 policy covers a maximum of $5000.

Also, most of the insurance companies had this loop-hole called
"mysterious loss", which is how they describe things like a boat lost
at sea, or ditched windsurfing equipment. They would exclude this from
coverage. So you might want to be carefull how you describe the loss of
your equipment when making a claim...

~Jim