Re: visa repair

From: Dave Hoagland (hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Feb 19 1996 - 11:29:39 PST

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 11:29:39 -0800
From: Dave Hoagland <hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: visa repair

Bob Galvan wrote:

> > Was this some special type of visa or does all visa (no matter what bank of
>
> This was a visa gold card. Every one I've ever gotten has offered some

Unfortunately most cards are discontinuing these double warranties. I just got notified that my
extended warranty coverage ends this month, and I have the highest rated gold card - USAA.

Be sure to read the fine print on all cards.

I remember a couple years ago Gen Lee lost her new rig and sail while self rescueing on a fierce
spring day. I suggested she claim it since she purchased it with Visa. They paid for
replacements. Not only do they extend warranties, they (or used to) provide 90 day insurance for
theft or accident etc.

A good renters or homeowners personal property policy is invaluable for covering your gear
against loss or theft. They are relatively cheap and with replacement cost coverage you can leave
thousands of dollars worth of gear in your vehicle with peace of mind. This has paid off for me
several times I have been ripped off. I had a used screamer (purchased from Vela $700) stolen and
had the insurance company call Cityfront to get the price of a replacement board, result - $1195
+ tax and I got a brand new screamer. Had a similar experience at Squaw Valley last year when
somebody ripped off a bunch of gear out of my car, resulting in all new gear and cash left over.
The cost of these policies should be around $225 a year for 40 or $50,000 worth of coverage, with
a $200 deductible. They also cover all your household property for fire, earthquake etc.
This policy would also cover sailboard gear if I lost it on the water, but I have never claimed
anything for breakage, so I don't know about that. Also provides liability in case you should
accidently injure someone or damage their property.

Well, you know you're a middle aged windsurfer when you're rhapsodizing about the benefits of
insurance but I know several people who had all their gear stolen last year, and it definitely
put a damper on their sailing time. Later...