Re: Rescue and crissy wind

From: Geoff Boehm (boehm@mri.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jun 09 1994 - 06:42:17 PDT

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 94 06:42:17 PDT
From: boehm@mri.com-DeleteThis (Geoff Boehm)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Rescue and crissy wind

    But what I thought you were proposing was to have a relationship with
    one towing service so that SFBA could publish their
    name/number/negotiated fee for towing, and sailors could call them
    directly in situations that were not life-threatening.

    Maybe SFBA could make it a benefit of membership, sort of like being in
    AAA, that you get free towing at certain sites as a benefit of
    membership.... It would be a good selling point for SFBA
    memberships.

This, and carrying a strobe, sounds like the best idea so far. The coast
guard is only expensive if you add their huge overhead, and becomes more
so if they have to take a lot of time to search for the downed sailor.

For sailboards, even a towing service seems like overkill - any small
boat has plenty of power.

How different SF is from Maui... when first learning, I went out at
Kihei, the wind came up, and I was about 1.5 miles out and way too
overpowered to sail. A small boat from the local rental shop cruised
by and towed me back to shore - they just regularly sent out a boat
when the wind came up suddenly, just to see if anyone needed help.
They charged me $10, and I tipped the driver a half case of beer.