Re: Rescue and crissy wind

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 08 1994 - 19:58:03 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Rescue and crissy wind
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 19:58:03 -0700 (PDT)

'Ken Poulton says:'
> > The Coast Guard doesn't have a problem going to the aid of a
> > windsurfer truely in distress, it's just all the false alarms that
> > they object too. My friend suggests that ideally windsurfers carry
> > some kind of distress signaling device, perferrable radio. I don't
> > know if a small, waterproof device like this exists, but if it does
> > it's not a bad suggestion.
>
> Does anyone know of a truly waterproof marine radio? I'd be happy to
> carry one if I thought it would last. Oh yeah, it has to be
> shock-resistant, too!

Well, this discussion prompted me to visit West Marine Products on San
Antonio off 101. I wanted to get a cheap strobe. They took me over to the
radio section and tried to sell me on a $270 water-resistant two-way radio.
They claim it can broadcast 3 miles. It was quite an impressive little
sucker...rubberized casing; about six inches long in the body and maybe
about five on the removable antenna. They also sell a waterproof bag that
you can place the radio inside. They had several other similar models,
with varying degrees of water-resistancy. The salesperson tried to
convince me that you could use this thing to have the Marine Operator call
home and let you talk to the wife and kids, as long as you don't mind every
other radio operator in the vicinity listening to your conversation.
Exactly what I would need when I'm under the San Mateo bridge.... :)

$300 is a bit much for me. Someday it would be fun to have one just for
emergencies.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis