Eastshore Park Update and Reply

From: David R. Fielder (dfielder@cooper.cpmc.org-DeleteThis.com)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 11:57:43 PDT

Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 11:57:43 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com
From: "David R. Fielder" <dfielder@cooper.cpmc.org-DeleteThis.com>
Subject: Eastshore Park Update and Reply

Update plus additional comments related to Jerry's reply.

Update is that notice just arrived of an additional meeting to finish the work cut short on Sept 24th by the lightening storm. Meeting will be on Thursday, 10/11 at 7PM at His Lordships.

Website is: http://www.eastshorestatepark.org
Note outdated windsurfer photo, but top billing.

First, thanks for supportive response from Jerry. Always a bit of risk involved in trying to summarize. I did note lots of vans, but was distracted by rain etc. and forgot that evidence of our numbers.

The Bulb comments Jerry makes do fit with what I heard. I think I was reacting to lack of ability to drive out to near the end of the Bulb (no road appears politically possible out that far), thus entailing at a minimum long hike with gear from parking spot, which already does exist. Plan B, more development scenario, certainly envisions more Albany Point development, including even playing fields, but all at the base of the Bulb, about on a line North and East of the nice beach that many comment upon (dog walkers want it off-leash too). I think the concern may be that the beach is not an easy windsurfing launch compared to His Lords or Isabel, as you have to make several reaches to get out into open water apparently. I admit to not thinking/relating to kite surfing issues.

Kayaking issue was surprisingly visible (maybe some of the planners are into it?). Even to the point that for the 4 categories of Use Intensity described, kayaking made it into the second level (Level "1", first level is "0" zero use - for nature preserves etc.) while windsurfing was mentioned in next more intense level (Level 2). However, I believe a comment was made that the list of uses in each category wasn't meant to be inclusive, just representational (something to work on?). Hard to see that windsurfing is much more intrusive than kayaking, since both tend to involve car delivery (I believe).

See you all there on October 11th?

        David