xSFO Update (from Sunday's Chronicle)

From: g olesek (g_olesek@yahoo.com-DeleteThis.com)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 10:20:13 PDT

Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 10:20:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: g olesek <g_olesek@yahoo.com-DeleteThis.com>
Subject: xSFO Update (from Sunday's Chronicle)
To: wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com

We should not back off and let our collective guard
down, but here is some recent positive news on the
runways (unfortunaly coming out of the very negative
news from last month tragedy). ;-(

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2001/09/30/MN167508.DTL

SFO ready to park runway expansion plans

Phillip Matier, Andrew Ross
Sunday, September 30, 2001

San Francisco International Airport General Manager
John Martin has told staff members that he wants to
put the brakes on the big $3 billion-plus runway
expansion program.

That's not to say they're ready to call it quits. But
with airlines cutting flights left and right, airport
brass fear that the big environmental impact report on
the proposed runways -- due out next spring -- could
wind up being riddled with inaccurate assumptions
about air traffic.

Which would leave the door wide open for runway
opponents to challenge the report.

"So the question is, 'Are we spending money on studies
that will actually be invalid when they're done?' "
says one airport staff member who attended the
meetings.

For example, United Airlines, one of the biggest
backers of the new runway plan, has cut service 25
percent at SFO, or between 40 and 50 flights a day.

"The impetus for the runway expansion was demand on
our field, and that demand is not there today," the
insider says.

Airport officials still want to look at new runway
designs -- but they fear that anything more right now
could be a waste of time.

As for when the airport plans might proceed, no one
really knows. One thing is for sure, though: The
ever-optimistic Mayor Willie Brown wants to move
ahead.

"We're going to need a place for those F-16 fighter
planes to take off and land -- fast -- because when
they go up, they've got to go up now," Willie said.

We'll see whether he still feels the same way after
Martin briefs him tomorrow on the airport's new world.

And that world isn't a pretty one. SFO is on course to
lose at least $70 million this fiscal year, and
officials have dropped plans for a $210 million
renovation of the old international terminal.

They'll also be telling both the Hyatt and the Hilton
that the competition for a new airport hotel has been
put on ice for at least five months.

http://phone.yahoo.com