Re: Board Suggestions/Right of Way

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 29 1999 - 12:03:17 PDT

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:03:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Board Suggestions/Right of Way

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 tmurguz@amre.com-DeleteThis wrote:

> 1. On opposite tack: If my right hand is near the mast
> I have ROW.
>
> I think this may be the rule that was questioned in the original post. In
> wavesailing, the surfing rule is fairly uniformly (ha ha) applied: If I'm on a
> wave, unless you can paddle over the shoulder without interfering with the wave,
> it's your duty to paddle behind and avoid the surfer, even if that means taking
> a lip on the head. The wavesailing equivalent is (for the most part) the guy on
> the wave has the right of way - regardless of whose hand is where (for most hand
> placements). To apply this to the swell in the bay/rio/wherever isn't too hard
> - if they look like they're going to start turning on the swell, pinch up & jump
> the one behind.
>
> Hard and fast rules don't work in fluid situations.

- I agree most definitely, but we have to start somewhere. BTW,
Navigational ROW doesn't mean "the right to go whereever I choose"
but "The right to continue in my current direction". In fact, you
are obligated to continue in your current direction to allow the
boat without ROW a chance to manouver out of your way. Navigation
rules are basically there to help everybody figure out who stays
still and who moves. Legally, if the other guy doesn't move and
you can move to avoid a collision and you don't ; you're at fault
regardless of who had right of way.

- The rules in sailboat racing are somewhat different, you have
a right to "continue in your normal course". I.e. you have a
little more fudge room, but if you're on a upwind leg, you can't
start sailing downwind just to make somebody else tack.

- The real rule of windsurfing is to assume everybody's a moron
and sail defensively. If you put yourself in a situation where
you're expecting somebody else to know the rules and "do the
right thing" eventually you will be disappointed.

- Booker