RE: Board Suggestions/Right of Way ... ad nausium

From: Stephen Hiley (SHiley@WSGC.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 29 1999 - 11:12:22 PDT

From: Stephen Hiley <SHiley@WSGC.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Board Suggestions/Right of Way ... ad nausium
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:12:22 -0700

I hope you can see that surfing rules can only apply so much in the bay
sailing. The two rules discussed earlier (starboard and overtaking boat)
are especially important in this arena, in light of the speed we sail at and
the radical maneuvers we are prone to. I will be the first one to get out
of the way of a sailor cutting up a swell on the port tack if I am cruising
along on starboard (out of courtesy). But I think each sailor should be
aware of their responsibilty to avoid a closing boat on the opposite tack
when riding/surfing on the port side. Surfing rules have no concept of what
to do when opposing riders are closing in on each other from opposite
directions, because this is really doesn't happen in the waves. But in the
bay, I could be riding a swell on port closing in on you who is slashing
from the starboard. As the port sailor, I need to recognize this, and find
a safe way around you -- automatically. Hesitation or expecations that the
other sailor will yield can get you mauled.

Likewise, if I am heading on a straight course, lining up and putting the
pedal down for a big jump perhaps -- or whatever -- on the starboard side, I
would expect the sailor on the closing path from the port to yield,
regardless of what type of sailing they are engaged in. It all starts to
get a little murky and devisive to get off on the discussion of what type of
sailing requires more concentration and is more deserving of special
consideration. If we stick to the basic rules AND common courtesy, I think
we'll all be a lot happier (and safer) out there.

(no flame intended)