Mitigation, Seal Point, etc.

From: George Haye (geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Jan 31 1999 - 16:49:49 PST

From: "George Haye" <geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Mitigation, Seal Point, etc.
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 16:49:49 PST

1. Mitigation: there is a large Burlingame parcel, 300 Airport Boulevard
(as opposed to 301 airport blvd, which is the drive-in site), which
includes, I believe, all of Fishermans' Park, and the whole area north
of the Blvd. running from East to West all the way to the old
paddle-boat (gambling boat?) That's a large parcel. I spoke with the
City Planner and she informed me that this was zoned for a Hotel but
nothing was planned yet. THIS could be a great location for a windsurf
launch. AND getting the mitigation here would also lessen the amount of
real estate which the possible hotel could cover -- thus blocking less
wind at Coyote (if a Hotel is ever built at the parcel).
   The idea of getting our hands on the 300 Airport Blvd. parcel as
mitigation, however, seems like quite a longshot. The 301 Airport Blvd
parcel was valued at, I think, $23 million. It is an idea, however.

2. Seal Point: I don't think the mitigation should be in terms of the
developer putting $ into the Seal Point location, however, because it
appears that the City of San Mateo will be taking care of that.
   I have just gotten word from the landscape architects that the City
of San Mateo will be allowing for windsurf access at Seal Point. This is
good news! I've been following it for 2 years, and finally the nod has
come. It will be until the year 2001 before we can sail there, I think.
There are preliminary plans for a 70-90 car lot on top of the hill (as
close to the water as possible), and stairs down the front side of the
hill, and stairs / ramp into the water. It will not be everyone's
favorite site because there will be a 55 foot walk down the stairs to
the water. But, if 3rd Avenue is 150% packed in terms of cars, I believe
I'll make the walk.
  The wind should be sideshore, and the ramps on the outside "Middles"
are the best in the Bay, according to John and Bob at ASD. It is a
complete unknown frontier however in terms of how well each direction of
wind fills in to shore, etc. It seems great, but only time will tell.
  I would by no means consider Seal Point to be a back-up for Coyote.
The parking lot will be much smaller, and Coyote is a proven world-class
site. Seal Point will be a great access point to add to our quiver of
sites, however. Things can change as the years go by, and most people
might consider Seal Point to be just a "dump" in the end, but the way I
see it -- it can't hurt!

-George