I Forgot to Mention about Seal Point

From: George Haye (geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Jan 31 1999 - 20:08:38 PST

From: "George Haye" <geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: I Forgot to Mention about Seal Point
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 20:08:38 PST

A couple of positives about Seal Point.
  Although the fairly long walk may deter some, it may be a shorter walk
than many of us make at 3rd Ave and Crissy when those places are packed.
  Some reasons why I'm really looking forward to being able to park and
launch at the old San Mateo city dump:
1. The wind and ramps out from Seal Point are better than at 3rd,
according to the guys at ASD, as they've noted after years of
downwinders from Coyote.
2. The view from the hill could be unique in the world of windsurfing!
It could be incredibly breathtaking to watch windsurfing from up there!
A photographer's dream. And, a race organizer's dream. Clearly, the dump
itself would act as an incredible "natural" grandstand for spectators.
3. The place feels more remote than Coyote or 3rd. And this feeling will
likely only increase exponentially. Coyote and 3rd have massive
buildings overlooking them, with more to come. Seal Point will forever,
it appears, be the way it is now, more or less. Upwind: homes all the
way up to Coyote Point marina. Downwind: the semi-wetlands area before
3rd Avenue.
   It may turn out to be many people's favorite place, or it may not.
Time will tell. But, I'm just so glad that the city of San Mateo has
proven to be visionary enough to listen to myself and about 7 other
windsurfers who wrote in and spoke at the public meeting last fall. For
our efforts, we will have a new windsurf site.
   Foster City and Burlingame should take note.

-George