Possible NEW ACCESS Upwind Of 3RD AVENUE

From: George Haye (geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sat Oct 31 1998 - 08:23:31 PST

From: "George Haye" <geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Possible NEW ACCESS Upwind Of 3RD AVENUE
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 08:23:31 PST

POSSIBLE NEW WINDSURFING SITE UPWIND OF 3RD AVENUE
It is not very often that we get a chance to help design a NEW
windsurfing site in the Bay. We have that chance right now! And, we’re
talking about a place which might have a little bit BETTER wind and
swell than 3rd Avenue.
HERE’S THE STORY
As part of it’s Shoreline Master Plan, the City of San Mateo is planning
to turn Seal Point into a park. (This is the closed landfill site just a
few good reaches upwind from the 3rd Avenue launch.) With enough input
from windsurfers, we could have a new windsurfing site – with lots of
parking and an enormous area on which to rig.
Seal Point could itself be a prime place to windsurf, or at least it
would be a great place to go when 3rd Avenue is packed. (Which happens
on most good windy days.) Seal Point could be absolutely essential to
Peninsula sailors as our numbers continue to grow into the future. And,
who knows how good Coyote Point will be if: (1) the huge new development
at the Drive-In Theater blocks or partially blocks the wind, and (2) the
airport’s new runway -- one mile further into the bay -- prevents us
from making those long reaches that we love.
The downside at Seal Point is that there would be a fairly long walk
from the likely parking area at the top of the landfill to the water.
But, it would be similar to the walk that many of us take at Crissy
Field and 3rd Avenue when those places are packed and we have to park
further away from the water.
HOW WE CAN GIVE OUR INPUT
1. Come to the Public Meeting on Thursday, November 12, 1998, at 7-9 PM,
at the Bayside Middle School for the Arts, at 2025 Kehoe Avenue in San
Mateo. (Get off of the 101 Freeway at 3rd Avenue. Go towards the Bay.
Take a right on Norfolk Street, and a Left on Kehoe Avenue.) The last
half of the meeting will be for public input. If you’d like to have
windsurfing at Seal Point, this is your chance to tell the planners.
2. Send a letter by November 25th, 1998, to: 2M Associates, Box 7036
Landscape Station, Berkeley, CA 94707. Or, fax to: (510) 525-4081.
SOME KEY POINTS TO MAKE
(1) Seal Point is situated in one of the best locations in the world for
windsurfing. The following items would make the park accessible for
windsurfing: (2) The 81 car parking lot mentioned on page 51 and
pictured in Appendix H of the Draft Report would be essential for
windsurfing and would be best located more toward the center of the
landfill and as close to the water as possible. (3) The parking lot
should be made to accommodate 200 cars because windsurfing is immensely
popular in the area. Also, large events such as races could be held at
Seal Point with the hill giving spectators an incredible view of the
action. (4) For water access, two ramps would be ideal. One ramp should
be located in the center of the northern shoreline, straight down from
the parking lot. The other ramp should also be located on the northern
shoreline, but toward the eastern end for windsurfers who get sent
downwind due to the flood tide. (5) Ideally, a path would lead straight
from the parking lot down to the center access ramp. This path would be
fairly steep and could be in addition to switch-backs. It would need to
be wide enough to accommodate a person carrying large, bulky windsurf
equipment. (6) Wood-chip, grass, or gravel equipment-set-up areas
surrounding the parking lot similar to those at Coyote Point would be
well-used.
GEORGE HAYE, SFBA MEMBER