RE: Sensor corrections

From: David St. John (david@windcall.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jun 23 1998 - 23:22:09 PDT

From: "David St. John" <david@windcall.com-DeleteThis>
To: <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Cc: <jim@windcall.com-DeleteThis>, <windfind@metro.net-DeleteThis>, "Ken Poulton" <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Sensor corrections
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 23:22:09 -0700

> I would like to have *both* raw and adjusted values on the
> reports web page.

Now, Ken, you know that's not going to happen - talk about mass confusion!

Nevertheless, here are some thoughts on the adjustments: (1) The ability to
adjust readings is built into the WindTalker machines (i.e., it wasn't Jim's
idea). (2) The adjustments can be made linearly (intercept and slope) and
independently on each point of direction. (3) The sites for which
directions have been adjusted were done so based on the collective input
from Call of the Wind subscribers and shoot for the most accurate wind
reports. (4) Jim only makes adjustments when he gets flooded with phone
calls and email about how screwed up the readings are for a particular site
at a particular direction - they are not made very often nor without good
reason and lots of user input.

I agree that a big change will screw up anyone who has his/her own
calibration system going. But it's not the adjustments that screw you up
(the wind sensors rarely give you on-the-water wind anyway), it's the
*change* from what you're used to. Overall, IMHO, corrected readings are
better than raw.

But this discussion is great input: I will make sure all existing
adjustments are posted on the website along with the sensor anomaly notes
we're working on now. And, we need to make sure to let windcall.com and
pager users know when a change is made.

> Personally, I make my driving decisions based on the web data, so
> I don't care as much which values the pager shows.

Final note: The pager and website reports are based on the same
information - reports delivered from the WindTalkers (i.e., the adjustments
that affect pager data affect those on the web in exactly the same way).

--
David St. John
Call of the Wind