Re: Sensor corrections

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jun 23 1998 - 11:30:45 PDT

Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 11:30:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Sensor corrections
Cc: david@windcall.com-DeleteThis, jim@windcall.com-DeleteThis, windcall@aol.com-DeleteThis, windfind@metro.net-DeleteThis

> I heartily agree. Please, Cotw, don't juice my readings! If all you can
> do is a linear correction, or on all directions, I say forget it. I can
> mentally correct for direction and magnitude. Don't change the sensors
> current calibration and mess up mine! It'll take me a whole season to
> get used to the new settings.

I would like to have *both* raw and adjusted values on the reports web page.
Here's the problem: adjustments are trying to extrapolate conditions
on the water from a site sensor measurement. As windlines shift on and
off shore, the correlation can change dramatically. Raw values are real,
adjusted values are always suspect.

For the sites I sail regularly, raw data is better since I can learn the
real conditions in detail. But for sites I go to only rarely, having
adjusted reports is more valuable. I want both!

Personally, I make my driving decisions based on the web data, so
I don't care as much which values the pager shows.

"Forecast for tonight: dark." -- George Carlin