Re: Re: Radio

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu May 07 1998 - 14:26:05 PDT

Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 14:26:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Re: Radio

> I know I can paddle 2 miles in under 2 hours

Have you tested this? I've always figured that although paddling a
longboard may be speedy, that paddling a shortboard is much slower than
swimming and you'd be lucky to make 1/2 mile/hr. Then there are those
pesky 1.5 knot tides to deal with sometimes.

I agree that in most circumstances we should eventually be able to
paddle in, but conditions can make it much more difficult.

"Ken is out in the channel floating with a broken mast at Coyote Point.
When should I start to worry?"
  Katie Poulton to Kirk Lindstrom, trying to remain calm in the face of
  the unknown.... Facts were better than we thought since he launched
  from 3rd and probably WAS near Coyote at that time.