Re: Re: Radio

From: Lafing Guy (LafingGuy@aol.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu May 07 1998 - 10:24:19 PDT

From: Lafing Guy <LafingGuy@aol.com-DeleteThis>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 13:24:19 EDT
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Re: Radio

Howdy all,
I've lurking on a bi-weeky basis in the list and I finally decided to throw in
my $.02 worth.

I did some research on visibility/cost/weight a couple of years ago after
having a CG helicopter not see 2 flares (they saw the 3rd) while I was sitting
in the channel at 3rd with a sailor with a broken leg. What I came up with
was a military spec dye pack that was available from West Marine. It's still
available there (or maybe at your local military surplus store?). Cost $12.00
part # 496406. I'm told they make a flourescent mark that's visible for miles
(it's mil spec, what do you expect?), stay's for hours, and flouresces at
night when a searchlight hits it. It fits in the pocket inside my waist
harnes. I also carry about 20 feet of line. I know this is a pretty low-tech
solution but I prefer the KISS approach.
(Some of you may flame me for this next comment.)
In the immortal words of Clint Eastwood " A man's got to know his
limitations".
If you don't think you can paddle your board home, or better yet swim home,
don't sail out there! You'll also be a lot less prone to panic if you know
you can get home on your own.

I do not want to think that my survival is based on hoping that
a)some one notices I'm missing
b)calles the coasties
c)they aren't looking for some one else
d) it's not dark, etc

 I know I can paddle 2 miles in under 2 hours and hey, I'll burn off some of
that nagging spare tire.

:D

Contrary comments cheerfully accepted.