Swimming in

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu May 07 1998 - 15:06:19 PDT

Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 15:06:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Swimming in

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Ken Poulton wrote:

> > I know I can paddle 2 miles in under 2 hours
>
> Have you tested this? I've always figured that although paddling a
> longboard may be speedy, that paddling a shortboard is much slower than
> swimming and you'd be lucky to make 1/2 mile/hr. Then there are those
> pesky 1.5 knot tides to deal with sometimes.

- Well, I've swam in from the channel marker at 3rd. Not an
experience I wish to repeat. It took me well over an hour, that's
roughly a mile. I did get back with all my gear, I expect
you could make much better time by ditching the sail.

- However, that was in a dead calm. I suspect that in strong
chop and 20+mph winds my progress would have been alot
slower. In my experience, it's much faster to swim and
drag your board behind you. My legs work much better
than my arms. Rough water might be a whole different
story. So far all my swims have been in calm weather.

- Booker C. Bense