white knuckles and the hula - Berkley sailing

From: Zeev_Gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu Apr 30 1998 - 10:42:53 PDT

From: Zeev_Gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 10:42:53 -0700
Subject: white knuckles and the hula - Berkley sailing

I was working frantically all day long hoping to
get to Berkeley in the afternoon. At 3pm the pager
was looking real good, so I made the short drive
to His Lordship.

The water did not look as windy as the pager was
indicating, so I went with my big gear - 6.2/9'6" (207#)
with a 'big ass' fin. First 30 minutes were good, then
the wind dropped off big. Great practice - schlogging
uphauling, and tacking. The tacks were especially tricky since
the wind was really low, but the swell was running
pretty big.

Everyone, except for a few of the racers, got off the
water around 4:30 due to low wind. Most folks packed
it in. I decided to wait a few minutes, do some work
and see if the promising fog bank would deliver.

At 5pm, the wind all of a sudden cranked back up, so
back out I go on the big set up. This was the white knuckle
part of the day. I way WAYYYY OP'd - only fin in the water
holding on for dear life, going way too fast, finding out that
big boards can get pretty big air if you go fast enough. Jibes
were pretty scary - exhilarating when completed. A small
guy was on a wave board/4.7 ezzy and he was OP'd. The
swell was Rio size - chest high, especially close to the
restaurant. My guess is that all this rain moved some sand/gravel
around and we have new sandbar there. In that size
swell, a 9'6" board is not the ideal size, as it barely fit
in between the waves.

the 3 other guys who were sailing went in to get smaller
stuff, and by the time they got back out on the water, it
was too small and the big stuff was just right - vintage
Berkeley. The fog came in fast and by 6pm is was getting
pretty calm.

Another day in paradise and I am grateful that I could 'get myself
some'.

Z.