RE: Radio

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Apr 20 1998 - 17:27:35 PDT

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 17:27:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: RE: Radio

> Two things put me off it at the time -
> its only 1W as opposed to most other handheld models which offer a 5W
> mode,

1W vs 5W is not that big a deal because omnidirectional antennas
give you a loss of 1/R to 1/R^2 for both the sending and receiving
antenna. You probably increase your range by only about 1.7x with 5x
more power.

> and also that I was told it didn't have a battery indicator (which
> apparently it does).

I'm not sure what these newer radios have, but a many-step battery gauge
would be much better than just a low-battery indicator. You want to
keep these radios more than half charged.

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."