Re: A day in the life of a windsurfer - survival story

From: John V. Morris (jmorris@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 09 1998 - 15:07:34 PDT

From: "John V. Morris" <jmorris@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: A day in the life of a windsurfer - survival story
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 15:07:34 PDT

> Anybody know of any light weight life vests that don't slow your
> mobility and don't weigh you down when your sailing?. I have tried a
> few but even the jetski vests seem heavy.

The best I've found is the women's O'Neil Outlaw. The women's version is cut higher
than the men's so it doesn't interfere with harness hooks. The vests are tight
fitting neoprene, they don't ride up, and they don't interfere with swimming.
Perhaps, even more important, they don't look dorky.

The Outlaw is not Coast Guard approved, but it provides enough floatation when
used with a wetsuit. The tight fitting neoprene acts as an extra layer of insulation
as well. The women's Outlaw can be purchased at most waterski shops for about $95.

I wouldn't recommend any PFD for use in high surf. In the Bay, this one works great.

John Morris