RE: A day in the life of a windsurfer - survival story

From: Glogolja, Miro (Miro.Glogolja@smi.siemens.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 09 1998 - 14:31:31 PDT

From: "Glogolja, Miro" <Miro.Glogolja@smi.siemens.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: A day in the life of a windsurfer - survival story
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 14:31:31 -0700
Return-Receipt-To: "Glogolja, Miro" <Miro.Glogolja@smi.siemens.com-DeleteThis>

Carlos, thanks for the real life story and the lessons from your experience.
Most of all, I am very glad that there is a happy end.

I also had the experience of losing my board once (was lucky to have it
recovered by another sailor) and ever since that time I tie a rope to the
nose of the board and the universal joint with another loop around the
safety webbing. It is not full-proof, in case the upper bolt breaks, but I
have not seen or heard of this type of a failure. My understanding is that
in most cases the tendon breaks or the pin comes out, or the bottom screw
breaks, depending on the construction. Unfortunately it seems that even
buying new universals every season is no guarantee. The one that failed in
my case failed during the third session on the water. Now I feel reasonably
secure with my setup even though it is not full-proof. Jibing is no
problem, since the rope is not tied to the mast. However, this solution is
good only for a board with a hole in the nose.

Another alternative may be an extra nut in the track and a loop under it
that is tied to the universal and the webbing.

Miro Glogolja