RE: A day in the life of a windsurfer - survival story

From: Martyn, Rick (RZM1@pge.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 09 1998 - 10:13:22 PDT

From: "Martyn, Rick" <RZM1@pge.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: A day in the life of a windsurfer - survival story
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 10:13:22 -0700

Thanks for sharing your (amazing) story!

        Another lesson learned, for all of us, is to keep the monetary
value of a rig in perspective with
        what may be at stake.

        Also, for any future rescuers, it is sometimes possible to drag
a lone sailor by having
        them grab on to your rear footstrap. It's hard to do, but is
worth a try in some cases.

        Rick

        ...snip...

> I made it. I made it. I will live to see another day! What a
> day, what a tough day at the office!
>
> Things I learned:
>
> - Life is precious, every minute counts! Life is not predictable. One
> day,
> without knowing, we may wake up to see our last day. Enjoy it while
> you can...
>
> - Sail with a buddy. He may save your life. I would not be writing
> this story
> if Mike hadn't been there. Thank you buddy. From this moment on,
> until the
> day I die, beers are on me!
>
> - Hold on to your board. No matter what happens. Your board is your
> life!
>
> - Check your equipment. I had about $1000 worth of rig, $1300 board,
> yet a $20
> part may have failed of which we think a pin (probably a couple of
> dollars
> worth) almost kill me!
>
> - Have a safety/rescue kit. Extra toe line, strobe light, flares,
> whistle,
> something! They may come in handy

        ...snip...