Re: Harness lines (again)

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Aug 11 1997 - 16:12:50 PDT

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 16:12:50 -0700
From: James.Paugh@eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Harness lines (again)

I broke six DaKine harness lines last season, and one this season (just
last Saturday). DaKine uses low quality rope in their harness lines,
that tends to break. You can get DaKine harness lines that aren't sewn
in and don't use webbing/buckles either. The rope is knotted off on
either end. So if the rope breaks, you can replace it. Visual Speed
also makes harness lines with this same feature, although their's
basically threads the rope end through a grommet which is then knotted.
The knot is a pain to untie (DaKine's is quite a bit easier). But when
the rope breaks, you lose the plastic tubing, so you end up replacing
just about everything anyway.

I'm currently trying the Windsurfing Hawaii fixed, hard lines. They are
sewn, but seem to be using a good quality rope. So it's left to be seen
how long they'll hold up. I've given up on adjustability, as I never
change the length of my lines. I would like to be able to get more than
one season out of a set of harness lines. I guess my concept of "one
season" has more days than the industry standard.

~Jim