Re: Tue @ 3rd, which ASD board to pick

From: Edward W. Scott (shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed May 07 1997 - 13:44:23 PDT

Subject: Re: Tue @ 3rd, which ASD board to pick
Date: Wed, 7 May 97 13:44:23 -0700
From: "Edward W. Scott" <shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis>
To: "Wind Talk" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>

>I have notices several folks on the new Mutant boards. In the near term
>I will be replacing my beloved Bic Tempo, the above 8'8". I would love to
>get
>some feedback on how the Mutant performs in the chop and more importantly
>in real ocean waves. The guys at ASD seemed to think that if I am
>going into the waves at all, the Enduro is the way to go. Thoughts?
>comments?

My understanding is that the Mutant is between an RKT and the Renegade,
the latter no longer in production. You can still order race boards from
them. Both the RKT (bump & jump) and Renegade (slalom) have fairly sharp
rails, and lots of volume in the tail in the 8'8". My 8'8" Enduro has
lots of rocker, more-or-less no-nose almost flip tip, softer rails, and
is very loose. More of a true wave board than the Mutant, but also makes
for a good b&j board, imho, especially at Third.

>I have tried the Enduro, 8'10" and loved it, although at times it was hard
>get up on a plane.

This is definitely the case, especially in marginal conditions. Doesn't
slog very well, and it's a long swim/walk from the channel when the wind
dies. You also have to sit way back, often in the straps, to get it
planing.

-Ed