Maui trip report

From: RSchumache@os.varian.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed May 07 1997 - 13:25:51 PDT

From: RSchumache@os.varian.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis ('wind_talk')
Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 13:25:51 -0700
Subject: Maui trip report

I'll keep it brief, because I'm still playing catch up at work. Went to Maui last week (4/26 - 5/4). Sailed seven days in a row on an 8'6" wave board (165# sailor), sail sizes 4.0-5.0 (one day it was light, borrowed a 5.25 Nalu). Mostly at Kanaha, had a blast sailing the waves at the lower reef. The waves were very user friendly, largest faces were about head high. Because of that, the rejection rate and maytag incidence was very low. My confidence in the waves is at an all time high, I'll probably do something dumb and get creamed next time I go to Waddell as a consequence of that. Despite wearing gloves (which I usually don't) my hands quickly turned to hamburger due to the warm water. Regular applications of duct tape and nu-skin were necessary.

cool stuff:
Al West's Maui windsurf van rentals: the only way to go. Throw the gear in the van and don't worry about it. The rates were very reasonable and the people were nice. The only problem is popularity - if you don't book months in advance, you won't get one.

Hawaiian Island windsurf rentals. Excellent service and a good selection. They took good care of us when we got hosed by one of their competitors.

Bummers: Extreme Sports Maui - we reserved our gear (and paid for it) over a month in advance. When we showed up on a windy Saturday afternoon, they didn't have the promised gear ("sorry dude, big rush of Japanese tourists this morning") and told us to come back the next day, when the selection might be a little better. On Saturday, all they had were a few production boards and some really beat up customs. Apparently they spent most of their money this year on non-windsurf stuff (like mountain bikes and an indoor climbing wall). To their credit, we did not have any trouble receiving a full refund, but that's not the point. We wanted to go sailing, now !

I'll be back on the water at 3rd after a few more days of recuperation.

Rich Schumacher