Re: fin placement

From: Booker C. Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Mar 20 1996 - 15:12:57 PST

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 15:12:57 -0800 (PST)
From: "Booker C. Bense" <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: fin placement

On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, JMILUM.US.ORACLE.COM wrote:

> If I already sent this to this mailing list please excuse. If not please
> comment if you have ideas.
>
> I have been offered a prototype board at a really good price. It is an 8'6"
> convertible epoxy board. The only difference between it and the finalized
> model is that the fin box (tuttle) is 1" forward.
>
> Does anyone have any experience/expertise that they might comment on how much
> of an effect 1" would have on speed/handling?

- Well in general, the more forward the fin the looser/slower the
board is. It will definitely affect the top end of the board, you can
only get board that is in front of the fin out of the water. This
board will be slower than the production versions.

- It might be a blast to sail, if it's a convertible it should be
somewhat turny to start with. Having the fin forward will make it
much looser and will also help with planing. Perhaps you could use a more
pointer-like fin over a wider range of conditions.

- If you can ask them why they moved the fin back. I suspect it
was not for handling reasons, but to make it faster. You can't sell
a "convertible" board that does not go fast, no matter how well it
turns.

- If it's a deal ( $500< ), buy it and try it. You'll be getting another
board soon enough anyway.

- Booker C. Bense : bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis