Re: sailin' Tuba(mancha)

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Mar 14 1996 - 21:01:38 PST

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 21:01:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: sailin' Tuba(mancha)

On Thu, Jeff Hodges wrote:

> ok, I give. Could someone describe ~precisely~ how one goes about sailing
> Tuba(mancha)?
>
> Like, where does one go to park (and how to get there). Where does one launch,
> and then, as I understand it, one sails upwind for a ways to the actual sailing
> site. What's the scoop on all this?
>
> Inquiring, wind-starved minds wanna know!

conditions:

nw 20+ at bodega bouy, bodega bay, faralones, pilot station
wind on Limantour beach will be cross-off.
rising tide is best, falling tide will depower you in the wave zone.

directions:
(1 hour from San Rafael)

Sir Francis Drake Bvld to Olema,
turn right, go north 20 yards,
left on Bear Valley Rd, 3(?) miles to
left on Limantour Road
15 minutes to dirt parking lot at the end of the road.

Rig

walk 200 yards to beach

Crissy-style sailing right there, or
sail upwind 2 miles to the waves.
watch out for sand bars
august and september puts eelgrass in the surf zone, weed fin is good.

Bob recommends "convertible" or bump+jump style gear. An 11" race fin is
my most common choice, Hot dog is a good choice too. You need total
powered-up conditions to get pure wave gear upwind that far.
Sunglasses or hat with visor also highly recommended as starboard tack
has you staring into the sun and its glare on the water.

see you there...
Bob