Re: Weekend Report

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Sep 05 1995 - 11:50:06 PDT

Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 11:50:06 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Weekend Report

> From: justin@booza.mcm.com-DeleteThis (Justin Gordon)
> Sat: Wadell. From 2:00 to 3:30, OP on 265, 5.5. Then I switched to a 5.0 Zeta and
> was fully powered until 6:00. Very small surf. This was my first time at Wadell.
> 2 questions:
> 1. Everybody riding the small surf would ride it right into the sand.
> Is this the right way to ride the surf at wadell?

Only when it's so small. Normally, when the surf is bigger, it breaks further
out, and you'll have room to jibe/tack after riding a wave in. I was playing
on the swells as they approached the beach, but then cut out just before they
would break on the sand :) That little stuff is not worth blow'n a fin box.

> 2. Wadell seems to be equipment hell. Are there any good rigging areas? Any suggestions
> for keeping equipment and car clean?

Get yourself a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet at a hardware store.
It'll cost you about $10, and a piece about twice the size of a large
beach towel is enough to protect the draft of the sail while your
rigging it. I wouldn't recommend fragile monofilm/slalom equipment at
Waddell. You can keep the blowing sand out of your mast base/luff
sock by leave your rig near the damp sand, by the water's edge. There
is less blowing sand there. That blowing sand will find it's way into
you mast base, 2 pc mast, etc.

Also, a small door mat or throw rug helps for taking off your wetsuit,
and keeping the sand/gravel off your feet, and out of your car. I've
also seen people using a large Rubbermaid bucket, which they stand in
while removing their wetsuit, for the same purpose.