Re: Advice Needed from owners of Mike's Labs

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Aug 17 1995 - 12:07:16 PDT

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 12:07:16 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Advice Needed from owners of Mike's Labs
Cc: Gr8Jibe@aol.com-DeleteThis

> Before I spend mo money on another Meritex base fin for my 9'0 1994 Mike's
> Lab, I'd like advice on what fin works well with it. I have a 15-1/2 inch
> Meritex blade fin; with that, the board rails up too much with a 5.5 although
> it does point WAY upwind.
>
> This board is very thick in the tail, thicker than the 1995 design.
>
> Here's the question: What fin would work well with a 5.5 Prisma on this
> board, so I could sail this big board and float back to shore at 3rd when the
> wind shuts down this time of year? How about a fin that wouldn't hit every
> sand bar?

Your fin is just complaining that you aren't doing what it wants to
do...go up wind! You can control the railing by just pointing higher up
wind. I'm sure you know this, but would rather just happily beam reach
back and forth. A smaller fin is the solution here. I would recommend
the Rainbow RS-2 for that sail/range(13.25", swept blade) It handles
very nicely! Whether you can get it with a Meritex box is another
question. Probably a special order from Rainbow.

~Jim