Re: 3rd ave sensor design

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Sep 29 1994 - 16:30:00 PDT

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 16:30:00 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: 3rd ave sensor design

> It is a nice idea, but there must be an easier, cheaper and more reliable
> method, with less regulatory hassle. I like the idea of a standard weather
> vane/wind speed detector and a solar powered radio transmitter or cellular
> connection.

I started out with the solar+cellular idea, too. The big problem here
is cost - at $40/minute (for high volume users), it costs $140/mo,
just for hourly updates 12 hours a day. Windsight normally takes
data at 1 minute intervals and I think they update to their center at
15 minute intervals or shorter.

Maybe a solar+radio link to a shore station with a phone would work.
At least there's no monthly charge.

On any system, any kind of maintainence would be a major pain in the
butt. Any remote electronics are a liability. The laser idea's weak
link in this respect is reflector cleaning. There must be radio systems
in use from the NOAA buoys, but I'll bet they are plenty $$.

I would guess that for a key site like this, that we could convince
Windsight to spend about double the ~~$1000 they have to spend at most
sites for equipment. So I figure we have a budget of around $1000
for the sensor plus the interface to the regular station. Mike, care
to comment?

"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as
simply messing about in boats."
                                        -- Toad, "The Wind in the Willows"