3rd ave sensor design

From: kenb@hpindck.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed Sep 28 1994 - 18:36:44 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: 3rd ave sensor design
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 94 18:36:44 -0700
From: kenb@hpindck.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis

I can't resist putting my $0.02 in.

Kirk wrote:

> It would be easy to design the electronics, the hard
> part is keeping the spinner spinning at a true rate with all
> the corrosion that would occur on the buoy.

I don't think it would be that hard. I mean, they make annommome... anomm...
er, wind meters that have a spinner, right? And they often get put at
coast-side places and on boats, right? I'd expect they wouldn't get *that*
much more corrosion out on the channel marker than they would placed on the
top of a building next to the ocean or attached to the mast of a sailboat.
Besides, if it's cheap enough, it shouldn't be *that* difficult to replace
it once or twice a year (as long as it's done *promptly* upon detecting
wierd results). Schedule premptive maintenance/replacement at the beginning
of the season, and I'd expect you could get through the season without it
going down, if made from the proper materials.

One aspect that hasn't been discussed is how to mount the telescope/laser/
whatever with enough stability so that it stays focused on the spinner even
in high gusty winds. Given the distance to the channel, I doubt it would
take much wind (or traffic??) induced vibration of the telescope/laser/whatever
body to lose the spinner from the field of view.

With enough of the proper engineering analysis, I'm sure all the problems
are solvable. Whether they can be solved within Windsight's budget, that
is another question....

Ken Brown +\ SnailMail: Hewlett-Packard
kenb@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis ... + \ 19420 Homestead Road
Voice: (408) 447-3089 : \ MS 43LT
Fax: (408) 447-3660 ... : o__.\ Cupertino CA 95014
                            :.K" \ USA
****** "It is a far, far better jibe I do, than I have ever done before" ******
                                                - C. "Jibemeister" Dickens