Re: 3rd ave sensor design

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Sep 28 1994 - 21:42:17 PDT

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 21:42:17 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  3rd ave sensor design

> One aspect that hasn't been discussed is how to mount the
> telescope/laser/ whatever with enough stability so that it stays
> focused on the spinner even in high gusty winds.

Simply mount it indoors, looking through a window, or mount it on
a roof or the ground inside a box which is separately attached to
the roof or ground.

On the laser issue, I think the previous discussion missed the point
that the laser hsa to be defocused slightly to make aiming easy anyway.
It doesn't have to spread out very far (a matter of a few inches) to
reduce a common 5 mW laser to safe power densities.

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a
soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an
idea."