Re: Re: 3rd ave sensor design

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Sep 29 1994 - 09:46:23 PDT

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 09:46:23 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Re: 3rd ave sensor design

> Or have it portable and give it to a regular at Coyote like Peter or
> Maureen who'd enjoy the publicity. Have them take readings at 2,3,4 &5
> PM and cellphone them in.

I'd say there's little point in building such a thing unless it's online
all day, every day. People on the beach could learn to gauge the wind
just looking at the anemomemter through binocs!

> wireless program I'm working on..... is that the power LEAVING (exiting
> for you tech types) the box has to be safe enough for a kid to walk up
> and poke his head in to take a look. VERY TOUGH limits for this....
> Ken is right, defocus it a bit and it will be safe for people out in the
> bay, but you have to be careful with the power leaving the box.

Yeah, it would have to be mounted up high enough that no one on shore
could stick his head in the beam. You really need that anyway to avoid
losing the instrument when someone parks their car in the way.

Kirk, can you help us with an optical power calculation? We need to
figure out SNR for a given angular spread of the beam.

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." -- Wizard of Oz