Re: Rescue and crissy wind

From: Daryl Huff (Daryl.Huff@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 08 1994 - 16:05:09 PDT

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 16:05:09 -0700
From: Daryl.Huff@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Daryl Huff)
To: wind_talk@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Rescue and crissy wind

One of my friends works at the Coast Guard station that responds to the
windsurfer in distress calls at crissy. Part of the frustration on the
part of the Coast Guard is that all too often the distress call is actually
a false alarm. Either the person making the call didn't realize that the
windsurfer was adjusting his equipment or making taking a rest, in which case
the windsurfer is gone by the time they get their 44' life board and
a crew of four out to the area.

The Coast Guard doesn't have a problem going to the aid of a windsurfer truely
in distress, it's just all the false alarms that they object too. My friend
suggests that ideally windsurfers carry some kind of distress signaling device,
perferrable radio. I don't know if a small, waterproof device like this
exists, but if it does it's not a bad suggestion.

Daryl