Re: Rescue and crissy wind

From: Jonathan Hahn (hahn@nas.nasa.gov-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 08 1994 - 15:08:04 PDT

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 15:08:04 -0700
From: hahn@nas.nasa.gov-DeleteThis (Jonathan Hahn)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Rescue and crissy wind

> I wonder if the SFBA could not negotiate a fixed (reasonable) rate with
> a local boat towing service, (maybe out of Coyote Marina) that could be
> contacted by Coast Guard once they have established that it is not a
> life or death situation. If properly presented to the C.G., it may
> cool them off a bit about dealing with "those windsurfers". They would
> only be left to deal with sailors who are injured, or are seriously
> hypothermic.

Who can accurately make this determination? Not to be picky, but given
our litigious society, I can't imagine the Coast Guard not responding
to a call that comes in. If they didn't respond, and the person was
hurt or killed, they would be sued and have a jury award a massive
deep-pocket judgement against them.

> Actually, if the tow service were local (such as Coyote)
> they could be contacted directly by anyone with a hand held marine band
> radio. Get a few SFBA volunteers to always carry one, and a virtual
> "safety patrol" network could be set up as a first line, and maybe save
> a lot of Coast Guard agravation.

Yes, the calls would have to avoid the CG entirely otherwise I can't
imagine them not getting involved.

> This breakdown/rescue situation seems to be happening a lot, and perhaps
> windsurfers need to be more proactive about a solution.

Agreed.

> Jim Paugh email: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis
> ONC Technologies phone: (415) 336-4466
> SunSoft fax: (415) 336-6015