Re: Rescue and crissy wind

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 08 1994 - 13:48:20 PDT

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 13:48:20 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Rescue and crissy wind

> From listserv@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis Wed Jun 8 12:06 PDT 1994
> Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 12:05:22 -0700
> Originator: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
> From: Luigi Semenzato <luigi@paris.CS.Berkeley.EDU-DeleteThis>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
> Subject: Re: Rescue and crissy wind
>
> > [...] they [the Coast Guard] are getting increasingly upset of
> > having to "continuously rescue those windsurfers." They are talking
> > of trying require the purchase of a permits to allow you to launch
> > off crissy.
>
> Why don't they just charge for rescues? There must be some profound
> reason, but at the moment it escapes me. Most windsurfers would be
> able to pay for it, and perhaps even happy to do so if it's cheaper
> than their about-to-be-ditched $800 rig.

I think the Coast Guard is trying to avoid going into the business of towing,
even for a price. And given the cost of their training, expertise and
equipment, they could never cover their costs of picking up persons
(windsurfers) who just need a tow. Not to down play the severity of a
downed windsurfer who is not exactly in the cozy cockpit of a boat with a
cooler of beer...

I wonder if the SFBA could not negotiate a fixed (reasonable) rate with
a local boat towing service, (maybe out of Coyote Marina) that could be
contacted by Coast Guard once they have established that it is not a
life or death situation. If properly presented to the C.G., it may
cool them off a bit about dealing with "those windsurfers". They would
only be left to deal with sailors who are injured, or are seriously
hypothermic. Actually, if the tow service were local (such as Coyote)
they could be contacted directly by anyone with a hand held marine band
radio. Get a few SFBA volunteers to always carry one, and a virtual
"safety patrol" network could be set up as a first line, and maybe save
a lot of Coast Guard agravation.

This breakdown/rescue situation seems to be happening a lot, and perhaps
windsurfers need to be more proactive about a solution.

There, my $.02 worth, whether you wanted it or not! :-)

~Jim
Jim Paugh email: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis
ONC Technologies phone: (415) 336-4466
SunSoft fax: (415) 336-6015