RE: Kiter at Sherman

From: Jeff Milum (jmilum@saba.com-DeleteThis.com)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 12:01:58 PDT

From: Jeff Milum <jmilum@saba.com-DeleteThis.com>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com'" <wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com>
Subject: RE: Kiter at Sherman
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 12:01:58 -0700

We've seen nothing yet. Kiteboarding is going to be absolutely huge
since there appears to be very little learning curve. Currently
most kiteboarders have a lot of familiarity with windsurfing and the
rules/etiquette. As soon as the "in your face" wakeboarders get
into it, it's going to be messy. Think of snowboarders with 100ft.
long high tension lines and the ability to catch 50ft long
uncontrollable jumps on beginner slopes.

You aren't even safe standing on the beach anymore. Case in point I
was standing on the beach at Wadell and a kiteboarder was walking
his kite up the beach with me between himself and the kite. At a
very slow and deliberate pace he steered his lines right into me.
As I ducked and let them ride up and over me he started shaking his
head. I have no idea what he was thinking I should do ...
disappear?

The end is near.

-----Original Message----- From: Tom Krebs [mailto:tom@tippett.com-DeleteThis.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 11:06 AM To: Multiple recipients of
list WIND_TALK Subject: Re: Kiter at Sherman

The pervasive train of thought here seems to follow that of many new
sports. "It's a new sport it's taking up my space, I was here first
so find somewhere else to play." I don't think it's quite that
extreme but it's happened so many times in the recent past.
Mountain biking took off and the equestrian riders started freaking
out. Snowboarding came along and the skiers started freaking out.
With both these sports there was very much the mentality of "we were
here first." It seems that kiters are presenting some very real
dangers for sailors but god knows beginner/yahoo sailors present the
same kind of danger. I've never once come close to a mishap with a
kiter and I've had countless run in's with sailors running over my
rig at a launching area, getting way to close etc. There are
wankers in every crowd. Try to keep an open mind. I was just up at
the Gorge for three weeks where the sail/launch areas are a lot
tighter and my experience was very positive with regard to kiters.
The kiters tended to stay up or down wind of where the sailors were
and hopefully the Sherman Island area will sort itself out. With
the new launch site mentioned for kiters at Sherman it's seems like
kiters are taking things in the right direction.

Tom K.

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]