Gear Check

From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis.com
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 22:19:54 PST

From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis.com
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:19:54 EST
Subject: Gear Check
To: wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com

The Spring Thing definitely happened on the coast this Friday and Saturday.
A couple of buds and I had a great time sailing south of Waddell in pretty
consistent 4.7 wind and logo+ waves. Things were going swell until I rode a
pretty good size wave in too far and kicked out into an upcoming green wall
of thunder which took me over the falls. I was determined to hang on and not
lose my gear. After rollin and tumblin seemed like the whole night long I
came up from the deep with a smile. I was squeezing my boom proud of my
achievement, but wait where's my board? It should be coming up by now.

Uh oh, my mood quickly sank into the reality that my board was being carried
into shore towards the rocks. My universal tendon broke and I was about 100
yards off shore south of the lower reef drifting passed the bowl. I started
to drag my stuff in by my uphaul trying to keep it neutrally floated to avoid
drag as much as possible. Wave after wave I would come up trying to gauge if
I was making progress or caught in a rip heading parallel out to sea.
Getting pretty exhausted I thought I would give it 5 more minutes and then
decide if I should decide to ditch my rig and swim for it or not. This
process was really hard, but I was slowly making headway in between getting
pounded. About 15 minutes later I could touch bottom. Then miraculously my
board which was caught in an eddy drifted towards me within reach.

After landing my stuff on the beach I was happy to find no damage just pure
exhaustion. I had to hike my stuff up and over two rock bluffs to the beach
in front of the south reef. I then hiked up to the car and back to sail my
gear back to the launch. Wow! what a workout.

Its easy to get in a hurry at the beginning of the year sailing on stuff that
I meant to fix or replace last season. The moral of this story is check that
gear. Sometimes its the little stuff that gets you. Happy Sailing.
Twavo