Mon @ 3rd

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 18:48:42 PDT

Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 18:48:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Mon @ 3rd

============= Mon 29 May 00 - 3rd - 4.4/257 (195#) 2:50-4:00

I really meant to go early. I failed, and paid the price.

The wind was really light near the shore, but everyone said it was
cranking in the channel so I rigged 4.4. This was just enough to get me
out there and almost too much in the channel! The swell was pretty
close together - more like chop, but it made lots of good ramps.

After about half an hour, I found my outhaul slipping (yet again) on my
Booms From Hell. I went inside the marker looking for the nearest
sandbar to work on fixing it... never a bar when you want one! I
finally dropped into the water about halfway in and worked on the
outhaul adjuster until I was convinced it was hopeless and then noticed
that everyone was slogging in around me. And when most people are
slogging, I'm swimming on my small board. Actually, I body-dragged and
walked in the last half mile. Ugh. It turns out that the wind peaked
(28g33 kt at SFO) when I was rigging...

Parking lot was full, clear out to the golf course's back gate. Ugh again.
Imagine if SFO kills Coyote...

Those who came early had a crankin' good time in the ebb in the channel.

Ken Poulton
poulton@labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis

"You've got to take the bitter with the sour." -- Samuel Goldwyn