Crissy Today

From: Justin Gordon (j-gordon@pacbell.net-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Oct 10 1999 - 22:36:55 PDT

From: "Justin Gordon" <j-gordon@pacbell.net-DeleteThis>
To: "Wind_Talk (E-mail)" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Crissy Today
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 22:36:55 -0700

A bunch of us sailed under the Blue Angels today. I was powered for a while
on a 7.6. It was exciting sailing under the jets, but at times, the sound
was so loud that my ears hurt.

I ventured out to the south tower for some smooth water. However, the wind
abruptly backed off at about 4:50 pm. Combine that with a 4.14 max ebb at
5:30 and you get the picture.

I was on the fast track to point bonita.

I started sailing straight downwind and was making very, very little
progress. I probably spent over 30 minutes just trying to get back to the
bridge a point far enough North that I could head for Crissy Field.

I did not get back to the Crissy Field (SFYC) until 6:15. 1.5 hours of
crawling downwind. This truly tested my patience.

I was sooooo happy to make it back to the exact place where I launched. I
don't think that I could have done that even last season. I really had to
use every bit of my skill and experience to fight the 4 knot ebb.

A friend of mine had to walk his gear back downwind to the launch.

Another, Jim MacGrath, ended up sailing into the beach near Fort Point. Does
anybody know his status?

After this, I think that I will start carrying a strobe and some other
safety gear when I sail near sunset, as I have been up by the south tower
very close to sunset recently.

Justin

For sale:
Windwing race sails in great condition
 '98 6.5 $225
 '98 7.2 $225
 '99 8.3 $300
 '99 10.0 $250 (Used only 5 times)
I've also got Powerex masts to go with the sails. These are the top of the
line Powerex masts that cost around $500 new.
460 $250
490 $250