Seal Point Meeting and Sierra Club Nonsense

From: Dave Hoagland (bayrider@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Oct 08 1999 - 13:57:09 PDT

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 13:57:09 -0700
From: Dave Hoagland <bayrider@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Seal Point Meeting and Sierra Club Nonsense

> > > The Sierra Club spokesperson spoke first and opposed almost everything
> > in
> > > the Shoreline Plan including the parking on top of the hill which is
> > > critical for windsurfing access. She instead suggested a small cart be
> > > provided, and parking only be allowed on weekends on J. Hart Clinton
> > > Drive/Third Avenue itself. Windsurfers could then take turns using the
> > cart
> > > to push their gear one at a time all the way around the landfill hill to
> > the
> > > launch ramp.

 This is a typical position for the Sierra Club. They automatically
oppose anything that involves parking. They went ballistic when the Park
Service added adequate parking to the Crissy Field plan at the request
of SFBA. They wanted access by bus only. They didn't care that
windsurfing was the number one recreational activity going on at that
location for years. They didn't care that windsurfing is an
environmentally friendly sport because it's not their bag. In short they
never concern themselves with a realistic approach to urban planning as
long as it's at other people's expense. However they don't seem to have
a problem driving to their Claire Tappen lodge up in Norden for a little
weekend skiing. Check out the parking lot some time. I was a member
briefly but quit in disgust due to their knee jerk opposition to this
sort of situation. I suggest that anybody who belongs to this
organization do the same and let them know why.

'Watchin' the ships roll in, then I watch 'em roll away again'
Dave Hoagland /H\ /H\
Bayrider@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis ___/_H_\_/_H_\___
                             H H