Possible Great New Spot in East Bay

From: George Haye (geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 15:44:02 PDT

From: "George Haye" <geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Possible Great New Spot in East Bay
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 15:44:02 PDT

THIS INFO IS FROM MIKE GODSEY'S CALL OF THE WIND FORECAST PAGE:
PHONE NUMBER TO CALL IS LISTED BELOW.

NOTICE: We need your help to develop an awesome new sailing site. It will be
great for Marin and E. Bay sailors. It also will help Peninsula (sailors)
who don't want to make the long drive to Sherman Island. If you have ever
sailed way upwind from Pt. Isabel you know that the wind and swell out in
the Olympic Circle can be awesome. Very steady wind and big swell. The
problem is that you often can not get to the windline from Pt. Isabel.

The City of Albany is developing plans for an area near the Golden Gate
Fields race track to be part of a planned Eastshore State Park. Sue and the
Wind Goddess have found a beach right at the windline in this area. This
site promises to give the E. Bay a high wind small board launch site on days
the wind is not filled in at Berkeley and Pt. Isabel . Right now other
special interest groups are suggesting that the park be a dedicated: Bird
sanctuary or Dog Park or Model airplane park or Soccer field. They have not
heard from windsurfers.
Please take time to call:

Ann Ritzma, Assistant City Administrator City of Albany, phone number
510-528-5716.

Tell her you have heard a new park is being planned and you would like to
see a windsurfing site as part of the plan. See bottom of this page for
details.

MORE DETAILS:
The City of Albany will be giving the land by the race track (the Albany
land fill) to the Sate as part of the planned Eastshore State Park. This
park will extend from Oakland to Richmond. This bayside park could be a
great lauch site! Help me to give the city of Albany and the Park District
input on the needs of windsurfers. Right now they are just talking about it
as a place for people to walk their dogs. Now is the time to make our needs
known, while it is in the planning stages. Thanks for your help. Strength in
numbers!! Sue.

I go to the Albany trail area a lot walking my dogs. You don't need
permission from anyone to go over there. I told myself earlier this year
that I would launch from that site but have yet to do so! There are two ways
to get there - one is the Central Ave exits off of 880 or 580 and the other
is from the Gilman Ave exit. If you take the Gilman Ave exit and there is
some kind of function at the track, you'll have to pay for parking. If you
take the Central Ave exits you can get to the Albany Nature Trail - however,
if you go all the way to the end and the gate at the cul de sac is not
closed, then travel through that gate and you can actually park next to a
sand beach. This is the place I've been eyeing for a long time. I've seen
the place during very low tides and have not seen any rocks or obstructions
except very close to the rock jetty. Most recently while my boards were in
for repair, I went there to compare the winds to Berkeley and Point Isabel
and it does blow there all the way to the beach very nicely!