Re: TI Access

From: Tracy Pierce (ktpierce@hooked.net-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Sep 10 1999 - 23:13:14 PDT

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 23:13:14 -0700
From: Tracy Pierce <ktpierce@hooked.net-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: TI Access

"tmgan@earthlink.net-DeleteThis" wrote:
>Anyone know about SF County and the process to allow access of Treasure
Island?
>It's been a couple of years since the Navy fled.
>-Tom

I attended a few Treasure Island Task Force meetings as a substitute SFBA
representative, taking notes and passing them on to the 'official' SFBA
rep. At one of those meetings, the SFPD TI branch (Captain? I can't recall
his name either, the notes are gone) head honcho made a presentation to the
task force re staffing plans, etc; the most important thing I got out of
that was something to the effect "If you've got business on TI, we'll get /
let you on". Of course 'business' was left undefined.

(Don't tell: At one of those meetings, held on TI, I skipped the later
portion of the meeting and went for a nice little sail. 7.0 & 298 worked
fine there even at noon, and it didn't blow anywhere that day!)

A subsequent too-short chat with 3 prominent SFBA members over lunch, I
suggested applying directly to the TI SFPD on an individual basis, seeking
access for the 'business' of windsurfing. While this might mean signing
away your firstborn, signing a release of liability regarding accessing the
unsafe water from the unsafe boat ramp, and paying for a special picture
ID, why not? Some thought this a great idea; others were too busy talking
and thought I ought to shut up. Anyway, that's as far as I got with that.

It might be interesting to note that the SFPD TI chief also said that once
there are people living there, virtually anybody gets in; I've recently
seen ads for apartments on TI in the Chronicle, but I dunno if they were
for immediate occupancy.

The latest SFBA newsletter had NO mention of TI as I recall; this may be
why you're asking. I don't know if anyone's attending these meetings
anymore. Who knows - you might be able to drive out to the boat ramp and
sail tomorrow!

Upshot? Maybe I got the skunk-eye about it, but you didn't! I'd say if
you want onto TI badly enough, take the individual initiative to comb your
hair real nice and go apply for access. The worst that can come of that is
a no; the SFBA has a bigger fish to deal with (SFO), and all the SFBA can
do re TI is talk and maybe listen, maybe put in a good word to the
politicians about what nice people windsurfers are. The SFBA can't get YOU
a pass onto the island.

Tracy (ain't no dang diplomat, sorry!) Pierce

PS The transfer of TI from USN to SF is a long drawn out bureaucratic &
political thing, as it (groan) actually should be. The Navy is still
around, but not very prominently. The gate is being run by 3rd party
security hired by the SFPD TI branch.