RE: a close call at 3rd Ave last Saturday -- Mark Tischler

From: Burton, Tony (tburton@visa.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 19:40:58 PDT

From: "Burton, Tony" <tburton@visa.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: a close call at 3rd Ave last Saturday -- Mark Tischler
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 19:40:58 -0700

What we should do is ask how many people this has happened to? This happened
to me to about a month ago and was very scary to say the least. I tried
sailing past the barge on a fairly light day (ebbing). The wind shadow got
me, I fell down and had a very difficult time water starting. All I could
think of was that barge getting closer and closer. The other thing that
really frightened me was the noise of the water pounding on the side of the
barge. I knew that if I didn't get going pretty quick, I would soon be a
part of that pounding action - no thanks. To make a long story short, I did
get back up on my board and just missed the barge.

I will never sail past them unless it's cranking and I'm well away from
them!