Sierra Club has been fighting against runway plan

From: George Haye (geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jul 30 1999 - 13:30:27 PDT

From: "George Haye" <geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Sierra Club has been fighting against runway plan
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:30:27 PDT

Ed Scott wrote:
>Maybe I missed it in this forum, but KRON reports last night that the
>Sierra Club has come out in opposition of the proposed SFO runway
>expansion.
>
>-Ed

  Actually, the Sierra Club has been fighting against the runway expansion
for quite some time. The SFO juggernaut has been working very very hard to
divide and conquor the environmental community and they have succeeded in
making the public believe that the Sierra Club was in favor of doing a swap
of: SFO bay fill -for- the restoration of the Cargill Salt land. In fact,
the Sierra Club is in favor of restoring the wetlands, but they are
completely against filling the Bay! They resent the airport's attempts to
characterize their position differently. Debbie Ruddock, Chapter of the Loma
Prieta Chapter of the Sierra Club has repeatedly stated that the only real
alternatives are "no bay fill" alternatives, and that "mitigation is
destruction".
  The good thing is that the Sierra Club, Save The Bay, and other groups are
wise to the airport's tactics. Even a BCDC chief, (BCDC is one of the
regulatory bodies that can completely stop the airport's plans), is angry
and has publicly stated that the airport's tactics are "machiavellian".
  We definitely have a decent shot to wipe out the airport's plans, but
we'll all need to get involved. (see <www.savesfbay.org> and
<http://www.hooked.net/~wndrider/sfia/sfia.html>)

  HERE is the official position of the SIERRA CLUB, as reported by Sierra
Club activist and writer, windsurfer, and SFBA member Richard Zimmerman:
"The Loma Prieta and San Francisco Bay Chapters oppose fill
of the bay or wetlands for any purpose, including airport or
other transportation facilities.

We do support comprehensive regional and statewide
solutions to our mobility problems, solutions that integrate air
and ground transportation while avoiding or minimizing
environmental damage.

We urge the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, San
Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission,
Association of Bay Area Governments and other appropriate
agencies to place a priority on identifying and evaluating
regional no-fill alternatives to runways in the Bay."

-George Haye