# of annoying & dangerous ferries may increase

From: George Haye (geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jul 30 1999 - 12:58:41 PDT

From: "George Haye" <geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: # of annoying & dangerous ferries may increase
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 12:58:41 PDT

David Fielder wrote:

>from personal experience, the fancy new cat
>ferry from Vallejo to SF is very fast and surprisingly quiet coming at you
>from downwind, so watch out even more than usual (seems vacant space, until
>almost too late). I would only travel there for diversity and/or because
>no wind closer (NLWTFW!).
> David

On the subject of ferries on the Bay, there are plans to put quite a few
more out there. A public agency is asking for public input. Here's a little
something I just wrote for the SFBA newsletter:

AGGRESSIVE INCREASE IN NUMBER OF FERRIES ON BAY COULD ENDANGER WINDSURFERS
AND DEGRADE MANY TOP WINDSURF SPOTS

   While we all agree transportation solutions are needed in the Bay area,
plans to dramatically increase the number of ferries on the Bay and build up
to two dozen new "ports" around the Bay, could greatly degrade our
windsurfing experience at many spots. Some of the proposed
"ports" include: Oyster Point, SF International Airport, Coyote Point,
Foster City, Redwood City, 3 more locations in the South Bay, and other
locations near key windsurfing sites (as reported in the San Francisco
Chronicle).
   A dramatic increase in high-speed ferry traffic would not only
dramatically increase boat traffic in the channel at currently mellow places
such as Third Avenue and Coyote Point (and Seal Point, soon), but the diesel
fuel from the ferries would really pollute the exact water we sail in and
ingest.
   Wetlands destruction, pollution from dredging, and endangering wildlife
are other (non-recreational) impacts that should be brought to the attention
of the policy-makers. Increased use of clean-fuel buses, expansion of BART
(including a tube from SFO to Oakland airport), and expansion of rail uses
could be mentioned as alternatives. Some increase in ferry use may be good
to relieve bay area congestion, but the large-scale proposals that are
currently being floated may do more harm than good.

WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW:
1. The Blue Ribbon Task Force for Bay Area Water Transit is soliciting
public input. Give it to them. Visit www.bayareacouncil.org or call the Bay
Area Council at (415) 981-6600.
2. Join Save the Bay (510-452-9261)(www.savesfbay.org).

--> Ask the Task Force and Save the Bay to work for a scaled-down and
reasonable ferry plan that won't endanger and degrade the experience of
long-time recreational users of the Bay, pollute the water, ruin wetlands,
and endanger wildlife. Tell them that adding Ferry service south of the San
Francisco Airport could be particularly damaging -- to wetlands and
wildlife, but also in terms of impacts on world-class established
windsurfing locations between the Airport and the Dumbarton Bridge. We could
encourage that the ferry service not go any further south than the San
Francisco Airport.

-George Haye
geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis