Re: People's Court, Please?

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jul 01 1999 - 07:17:58 PDT

Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 07:17:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: Ann McNeil <ANNIEMAUI@webtv.net-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: People's Court, Please?

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, A M wrote:

> The following happened to some guys I know at Waddel recently.
>
> Two sailors, L and R, simultaneously picked up a nice swell.
> They were 50 yds apart at this point.
> Sailor L began to ride it left, upwind. Sailor R, who had
> been looking upwind to acquire the swell, turned to go
> down the line. As he did he saw sailor L riding the wave
> left, and he looped below Sailor L, came back up the face,
> and rode as far as he could down the line. R came to about
> 15 ft of L as he crossed under L.
>
> Sailor L also turned down the line, and rode out the wave without
> further incident.
>
> Sailor L is the better sailor by far.
>
> In a subsequent beachside discussion, L claimed to be an aggrieved
> party because:
>
> 1) "These waves are predominantly left"
> 2) "I was in a more critical section."
> 3) "You came too close to me."
>
> Sailor R countered:
>
> 1) "If the wave was a left and you had a critical section, why
> did you give it up and go down the line too?"
> 2) "As the upwind rider you should let a down the line guy go
> by and not make a fuss about it."
> 3) I gave you enough room.
>
> Who's right, if anybody? Is crossing under as R did a no-no?

L is whining.
He got freaked by R's unexpected move.
He was not interfered with in any way.
There was room for both, and they both went where they wanted.
(at least that's what the report says)

I give R points for creativity and decisiveness.
L can go sit in his van until he learns how to share.

kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis