Re: People's Court, Please?

From: Geoffrey Boehm (Geoffrey.Boehm@wj.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 30 1999 - 15:11:30 PDT

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:11:30 -0700
From: Geoffrey.Boehm@wj.com-DeleteThis (Geoffrey Boehm)
Subject: Re: People's Court, Please?
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>, A M <asicenger@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>

     I myself am confused often as to the proper etiquette on a wave. Here
     is my opinion - probably wrong, but at least it ought to open up
     discussions of common misconceptions, since it will surely promote
     some:

     I think sailor R is correct. To my mind, riding a swell upwind/left is
     not really in the same cateogory as going down the line, or to put it
     another way, the guy going left wasn't really riding the wave. The
     down the line guy is the only one considered to be truly riding it. In
     that sense, R violated L's right of way, since it was L's wave. All of
     this is true only if there is a reasonable chance of riding Right.

     In my opinion, you only go left when there isn't a realistic option to
     go to the right. It sounds like L is claiming that is the case, so
     since the swell is breaking left, it is his wave. But if the
     subsequent sequence indicates, at is seems to here, that right was a
     real option, it thus takes precedence over left. Thus, it's R's wave.

     R should be able to come as close to L as he is competent to do.
     Unless he is really mediocre, and depending on the difficulty of the
     wave, 15 feet sounds like plenty of room. If L gets freaked out,
     that's the price of confronting someone else with the unexpected. It's
     pretty hard to judge if R came too close without being there, but L
     should expect a little bit of rudeness, especially since he is forcing
     the less competent L to cope with something that is probably
     unexpected.

     This really sounds like L is trying to steal the wave out from R.

     Frankly - I'm not much interested in pushing my view - I'm more
     interested in finding out what's wrong with it.