RE: Board Suggestions/Right of Way

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 29 1999 - 09:21:17 PDT

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:21:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Board Suggestions/Right of Way

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Wiesner, Craig wrote:

> I am glad you brought up the right of way. I didn't have too much problem
> while riding the swells as there were so many I could change course and then
> resume.......but what started pissing me off is when I am heading out
> looking for that sweet peak to launch from. I spot the curl, bear-off,
> build speed, head toward peak and give the caution look down wind and there
> is some kook right in my landing pad, especially if I have to bail-out. I
> try to give guys room to maneuver on days like yesterday.
>
> Ed, in my opinion this is only venting as windsurfers usually do what ever
> they want to despite "rules". The ones who buy into right of way rules are
> the ones who would do it any way.

- The best "rule" to have fun is to get the hell away from everybody..
Generally, I just take a few runs upwind or down and then slash away.
IMHO, the swell is generally better upwind anyway. I think there is
something to the theory that everybody sailing in one spot chops up
the swell. All those wakes have to go somewhere...

- Booker C. Bense