Board Suggestions/Right of Way

From: Ed Scott (edscott@best.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Apr 28 1999 - 21:37:35 PDT

Subject: Board Suggestions/Right of Way
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:37:35 -0700
From: Ed Scott <edscott@best.com-DeleteThis>
To: "Wind Talk" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>

Boards

Given that this season has been SOOOO windy thus far, I wonder if anyone
has any suggestions on a board in the 8'2" - 8'4" range for those 3.3-4.4
days. Requirements are: 1) manueverability/looseness; 2) tracking in big
conditions; 3) sufficient control especially while airborne; 4)
durability; 5) a little (not too much) flotation; 6) some amount of
rocker; 7) slight no-nose. I'm currently sailing an 8'6" glass Pintail
(classic shape) in these conditions which becomes a little squirrelly in
the 4.4 and below conditions when it gets big.

Open to suggestions on: 1) construction/materials; 2) shapes; 3)
manufacturers. I'm thinking along the lines of a small Enduro (I
currently have 8'8" which I will probably replace with an 8'6" in the
no-to-distant future), Rutger, Ward Coffey or Stretch. I'll probably
steer clear of most production boards, but opinions on those are welcome
as well - even on those stinkin' plastic boards if you're religious about
it. Multi-fin/bonzer is a possiblility. Glass is probably preferred,
but let's hear from the epoxy crowd in this size - is it too light for
good control in the gusts? All opinions welcome. Uses include places
like Third, the Gorge, Maui on the outside, and the Coast when it gets
big. I'm 185# and am fairly hard on my equipment.

Right of Way

Given all the slashing and bashing in the channel these days, it seems
like we should have different right of way rules for this situation that
your traditional straight line b&j sailing and wave sailing. I say in
this situation, that the approaching straight-line sailor should give ROW
to slower sailors who are manuevering on the swells. While I look
usually before initiating a series of bottom and top turns, if you do
more than a couple, sufficient time passes such that an approaching
sailor on a straight reach who was formerly not a problem will shortly
come right up on top of you. I don't think it's reasonable to expect the
manuevering sailor to keep looking since it's obvious what he's doing,
and the approaching sailor can easily either go sufficiently up or
downwind to avoid the manuevering sailor.

I think many of us are already practicing what I'm talking about, but I
wonder if we can formalize it in some way. I think we need a hybrid
wave/slalom/b&j rule, unless one already exists that I'm not aware of.

Flames welcome.

-Ed